Star Wars

• @jumpnjive Yes they are

• administrators

The Bechtloff actually had a plan on how they could have made a decent movie with Ep7. Don’t have Rey at all, but instead have Finn (Black Stormtrooper/Mace Dindu) and the rebel pilot team up to take down the First Order. Make the First Order more ISIS like (small and nimble). Instead of having some stupid planet that sucks up suns, have a cloaked spaceship that be invisible while getting into orbit around a planet, have it shoot metal rods that will destroy cities like an asteroid hit them, and then jump into hyperspace before anyone can figure out what happened. Also have Kylo (Darth Autism) end up self-destructing instead of being taken out by a Mary Sue.

He lays it out in this video: https://youtu.be/4FdfZ5g9ncw?t=47m

• @cynic I think a full scale intra-galactic invasion ala “Yuzhaan Vong” would have been an interesting concept. Wide scale warfare against a mysterious, merciless society that worships death and pain. All kinds of cool new creatures as enemies. Basically an improved version of the “New Jedi Order” series.

• @cynic They should have done Thrawn. Thrawn would have been awesome.

• @ainigmaris-thales I totally agree

• It’s the same thing I can never get my head around about the super hero movies. There are literally hundreds of thousands of comic books filled with stories… some of them are legendary, they are so good. How hard would it be to take one of those classic, beloved Justice League stories and turn it into a movie? Why do they have to get six writers who have never read a comic book in their life make some hodge-podge bullshit plot that totally derails the history and original concepts of the characters, when they have so much great stuff they could just turn into a screen-play and film.

• administrators

• @ainigmaris-thales
    You have put this better than anybody else.

• @jumpnjive Rey ain’t gonna be getting it on with Kylo. He’s white, heterosexual. There’s even a seen in SW8 where he’s shirtless and she must resist his physical charms. Hopping in bed with hetero-white guys is the dark side.

• @consolationofphilosophy “I know.”

• @ainigmaris-thales

Saw this bit from a review of the Last Jedi, which – even though I haven’t actually seen it yet, seems to confirm everything I have been saying about how Disney is destroying the old mythos and replacing it with the new Feminine Imperative:

Rey, on the other hand, never encounters failure. In “The Last Jedi,” instead of being instructed by a wise sage, Luke, in the tradition of the mythic hero, it is she who teaches him. Luke is thus deprived of the opportunity to pass from the warrior-hero into the mentor-teacher. At the end he is still impetuous, still myopic, still being lectured by Yoda. But Rey—she’s perfect. As Yoda tells Luke as the last Jedi archive burns, there is nothing in “those books that the girl does not already possess. In other words, she does not need the lessons of the past or a mentor to guide her. She already knows because she’s empowered. You go, girl! But beyond her inauthenticity as a masculine hero, Rey’s perfection and her cross-dressing deprive the film of another crucial element: a romance.

There are no princesses to rescue in the new “Star Wars.” There is no need for the traditional heroic story of the triumph of good over evil ending in love and children. It is in romance that the masculine and feminine hero journeys unify, resulting in new life. By making Rey a female character in a male role, the movie reveals its own contempt for life-giving femininity and its symbiotic relationship to strong masculinity.

That tracks with what I was discussing above, and also tracks with this other comment I made on an article on AKC:

"No longer is the ancient tale one of a young boy who learns from an ancient master (gathering collective wisdom), and gathering a group of like-minded friends (community) then going on a quest through difficult struggles (maturing through hardship) to slay the dragon (good defeating evil) and save the princess (perpetuating the species).

Now the story is becoming the girl is born better than everyone around her, her instinctive knowledge (hamstering) being far more wise and insightful than even her elders. She needs no training or education, nor does she need any moral guide. She just acts on her feels and just by being herself (moral relativism) and overcoming the people trying to make her obey the rules, she saves the universe alone."

• @ainigmaris-thales I am so glad I saw these reviews prior to spending $50 or more at the theater.

• @ainigmaris-thales Thanks AT. We don’t go to the theatre anymore because the last time we went my wife contracted whooping cough (we could hear some asshole about three rows back coughing his head off and foolishly didn’t get up and leave). So no danger of me wasting money on it that way. Now I won’t even buy it on DVD…for a dollar…at a yard sale. It seems to me that there’s virtually no sci-fi these days that hasn’t turned into a petri dish of virulent virtue signaling and social justice festering with leftard infection. I’ll bet if we could produce a movie based on the Tarnsman of Gor that was true to John Norman’s original intent, it would make money by the train car load. And blue haired SJWs and their beta boy white knights would stroke out and fall dead in the streets! At least a man can still dream…

• @boothe last time we went to the theater, we went to this show about a planewreck and this white woman and black man had to hike out. They fornicated on the way and then we walked out of the theater.

• @jim-johnson that chick from Titanic?

• I saw it before Christmas. Just to be sure I hated it (and because I had already agreed to see it with a friend) I saw it again.

As you all know by now, pretty darn bad. I don’t see myself watching any new Star Wars films.

But here’s the thing that confuses me: why was it such a bad experience? I understand that they had this whole social agenda that must be pushed, but what prevented them from making it at least entertaining?

Not to say it wasn’t funny. It had more lols than any of the previous films and some of them were indeed clever. But that’s basically it.

For a contrast, look at The Incredibles. Lots of feminist subversion, but as a film and a story I found it enjoyable. With all of Disney’s money and experience, I find it difficult to believe that it never occurred to them to hire an “is this a story” consultant for The Last Jedi.

Something else must be going on.

On the one hand, I think we have a culture without a past, as it were. We like shiny things but have lost any concept of the fire from which shiny things are forged. Eric Liddell was fast for the same reason he wouldn’t run on Sunday. The idea that there might be anything below the surface, something that must be earned, rules beyond our own perception, seems absent. Perhaps this is a postmodern thing.

On the other hand, maybe this intentional. Rebellion itself. If you pursue evil because it is desirable, well, at least a form of good is involved, however twisted. The excision of desirability is a witness of devotion to evil itself. “I want things I like that happen to be evil” vs. “I want evil itself and will prove it by doing undesirable things.”

On the third hand, money + committees = wut.

On the forth hand, I’ve run out of hands.

Why is it so important to make it stupid?

• @ransom It’s the general dumbing down of the populace. No one wants to think anymore. It’s just going from dopamine high to dopamine high with no introspection.

• I expect that’s a factor, but I don’t think that’s the whole story. The Dark Knight came out only a few years ago and I found it fairly thoughtful. I think people still like it. Hard to A/B test these things though.

• @ransom
    It makes you wonder sometimes if the director is either seeing how far down the stupid scale he can push it, or (I highly doubt this) it’s a subversive move to undermine the SJW movement.

• @jumpnjive Either of those appeal to my need to believe that there is meaning behind it. It would be kind of a let-down to discover otherwise.

Looks like your connection to A Kings Castle was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.