The Political and Cultural Divide in the U.S.

• Something Jammy brought up recently is how divided this nation has become. There are various reasons for this and it’s easy for the left to point a finger at the right and vice versa. It is actually in the best interests of the ruling class to promote and maintain these divisions in society: divide et impera. Divide and rule. Ken Stern, the former CEO of National Public Radio decided to put his liberal bias aside and spend a year in the enemy camp. He attended Tea Party meetings, went to church, tried hog hunting in Texas and hung out with the unemployed in the Rust Belt. He came away with a new perspective on America. Here’s his article: https://nypost.com/2017/10/21/the-other-half-of-america-that-the-liberal-media-doesnt-cover/amp/

• The media , dependence, and ignorance play a huge part in this divide

• @iattacku We’re at the point now where the mainstream media all too often read from the same script and have become nothing more than an echo chamber for the Deep State. Ignorance has always been a problem. Dependency is a fairly recent issue going back to FDR’s regime with the icing being put on the cake by LBJ. Of course if you point out that the Constitution does not authorize these wealth redistribution schemes, the left screams that you’re not compassionate. Making someone fat, sick and dependent on you is compassionate?

• @boothe they like to use the whole pursuit of happiness line to explain that the founders supported this. And there were always a select few people who wanted wlfare it’s just that fdr actualized it and the creation and spread of Marxism improved upon it. Not to mention women’s sufferage and making the voting age 18 .

• @iattacku Let’s not forget taking the selection of U.S. senators away from the state legislatures (who they were originally intended to represent) and giving their “election” over to the people. When you look at the number of senators versus the size of the U.S. population, there is no real danger that anyone’s individual vote or letters will have one iota of impact at the federal level. It is all dependent on the collective. This was by design.

• @boothe It always makes me laugh when members of the coastal elite class publish articles like that. “Can you believe, readers, that there are people, in this country, who actually fire weapons at targets! And they wear these things called… flip-flops… when they – you’re not going to believe this – buy their lawn furniture at WalMart.” Lordy, what caricatures. They’re writing to people who’ve literally never set foot in any so-called flyover states.

On the other hand, that coastal elite class knows exactly how the levers of power work in Washington, because they’re the ones pulling the levers. So I read them for political analysis and to catch a glimpse of what the borg is thinking these days.

• @jammyjaybird You’re quite right. A big part of our “cultural divide” is this huge chasm between urban and rural life. And not just the ignorance and arrogance of the East Coast elites, but most folks who live in the biggest cities. Unless and until you have actually had to kill something, skin it and cut it up it for food, you cannot understand that aspect of life. The same applies to tilling the land, building fires and repairing things; basic skills that those of us who were raised in the country and still reside there understand as essential. Many, if not the majority of, people who live in an urban bubble are almost completely disconnected from “flyover country” and apparently see us as little more than barbarians. Never mind that we supply the bulk of their food, energy and raw materials for building and manufacturing. Let the fragile logistics that supply their needs in their gated communities and high-rise apartments fail and they will rapidly see how thin the veneer of “civilization” really is. And how important these basic “rural” life skills possessed by us “bitter clingers” and “deplorables” really are.

• @boothe said in The Political and Cultural Divide in the U.S.:

“deplorables”

I think that term is used too broadly. It wasn’t meant to apply to everyone between New York and California. After all, the woman who said it was born and raised in Illinois.

It’s specifically used to describe people trapped in a hellish psychological state. You know: haters. They’re the vengeful, spiteful, bitter, often stupid people who are motivated mostly by fear and extreme distrust of nearly all other humans. Many are sociopaths. Since 2016, I’ve talked about this with many Europeans, and they understood the term immediately … because they use the exact same word! Deplorable is the same in Spanish, French, Italian, etc.

My dad and I have had a few conversations about this segment of society. Our back-of-napkin calculation is that they constitute about 15-20% of the human population. In the US, they float from party to party over time. A long time ago, they used to be Know-Nothings. Then they became Democrats. Right now they’re Republicans. In the future they’ll creep into some other party.

Long after the current occupant of the White House exits the stage, and after the Democrats take back the House in November, and after all the news of the moment passes – that hardcore hateful segment of our society will still be there, festering. It won’t go away. In fact, after decades of hibernation, it has been re-animated by the six-foot-two walking trash fire currently occupying the White House, because he’s the most deplorable of deplorables, trapped in a psychological hell. (As was Nixon, but the truth was that he managed to hide it better.)

• @jammyjaybird Oh it’s not what she meant by a “basket of deplorables” or what your (or anyone else’s) perception of it was. What matters is she inspired a lot of people to proudly self identify that way, even though the vast majority of those people would not have been in your original 15 - 20%. I believe your estimate is a bit low. About 5-6% of the populace are truly psychopaths and there is somewhere between 25 - 30% who will “go along to get along”. These are the scary people, because they carry out the oppression of their fellow man with a clear conscience using justifications such as “I was just doing my job” or “I was following orders” or “It’s the law.” Here again, the first part of her statement created a blowback situation, while the rest of her statement went largely ignored. This is the danger in labeling your enemies. As in this case, they may well embrace the label and double down, widening the fissure.

I believe a lot people who felt the negative impact of higher taxes, onerous regulations and bad international trade policies had enough after hearing “they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment” in 2012. When we look at the mess that too much of Europe has become due to many of these same issues and policies, it’s no stretch to say not only “that it can happen here”, but it is happening here. So it was pretty easy for El Cheeto to capitalize on that. We live in a generation of cell phone junkies who are addicted to sound bites, memes, tweets and “likes”. Resonate with them and they will vote for you…the one’s that you can actually get to go to the polls. And if they have been adversely affected by previous policies, they will go to the polls.

What I have observed about this most recent push orchestrated by WomensMarch, BLM, etc., to weaponize Parkland students in an astro-turf campaign against guns, has driven a lot of folks to buy guns. Particularly AR-15s and other semi-automatic rifles as well as bump stocks. And it has inspired a lot of fence sitters to join pro-gun organizations who otherwise probably would not have. David “Camera” Hogg has become a veritable poster child for NRA recruiting. I have to question if the left really put him up to this, because it has worked out so well for the gun rights community. We tend to ignore or disbelieve that the principle of an action resulting in an equal and opposite reaction is not just confined to physics. Human behavior is subject to this as well and we ignore that at our peril.

• @jammyjaybird Damn Jammy i was with you until the democrats part. They are just as trash as the republicans and are the main ones promoting the whole marxist sjw anti family crap. And Donald Trump is far from the worst. He is bad certainly but he is not the worst one of the people you mention.

• @iattacku said in The Political and Cultural Divide in the U.S.:

And Donald Trump is far from the worst. He is bad certainly but he is not the worst one of the people you mention.

He is the very worst person in politics and by far the most malignant individual force in our society right now. That’s not debatable.

• @jammyjaybird Of course it’s debatable. You and I might think he’s a scumbag, but not everyone shares that view. Just because you believe a thing, or I believe a thing, does not make it the gospel truth. Obviously a lot of folks in flyover country think a populist - nationalist is what the country needed at the helm. There are plenty of people who obviously feel the same way about the Hildebeast. That’s the beauty of politics, virtually everything is debatable. Only dictators and tyrants want to silence those who disagree and debate with them. This is why we have the 1st Amendment and the 2nd Amendment is to ensure we keep it.

• @boothe ironically democrats want to curb the 1st and 2nd amendment . Republicans are more after the 4th amendment

• @iattacku I know. That’s why, even though I can see the merit in some things from both sides, I cannot in good conscience support either side of the Uniparty unequivocally. I understand why Jammy does; it’s much easier that way. You don’t really have to think it through. You just jump on the one wagon or the other and go along for the ride. Anyone who disagrees with you, you classify in your own mind as insane or stupid.

Really parsing out the arguments and narratives from both sides, separating the wheat from the chaff if you will, takes a lot of work. My job requires me to do root cause analysis. I can’t be wrong or I don’t solve the problems I encounter and I lose my job. I have cross applied this skill to many other areas of life, politics included. This would be very disheartening for many people, Jammy included, because you come to the conclusion that both sides get part of it right and part of it wrong. But it essentially leaves you without a viable party in the fight. Or it forces you to select the lesser of the two evils, which puts you in the position of still having to accept evil. Sometimes I wish I could just blindly follow a strong delusion from one side or the other. It would be so much simpler. But that’s not who I am.

• @iattacku Here’s a quote from the Daily Caller that sums up the situation between the right and left in the U.S.: "The Left only likes conservatives if they serve the larger goal of attacking the Right. Leftists want ideological hegemony, not civil debate. No matter how much some conservatives call for civility and distance themselves from Trumpists, they’ll still be banished if their opinions run afoul of progressive orthodoxy. In polarized America, there’s no room for compromise and polite discussion."

And it’s not just conservatives. The same rules apply to Classical Liberals, Constitutionalists, Libertarians and Anarcho-Capitalists. You are either with the “progressives” (i.e. Marxists) or you are against them. If you are against them, then they either want you to shut up and go away or die. It is very much the same as the way Moslems view “infidels” (a term which unsurprisingly includes conservative Christians). This is probably why the left aligns itself so readily with the Moslem invaders. The whole article is here: http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/06/kevin-williamson-respectability-conservatives/

• r/K selection theory applied to the Liberal / Conservative dichotomy: http://www.anonymousconservative.com/blog/the-theory/rk-selection-theory/

• @jammyjaybird That’s just like, your opinion, man.

• @boothe pretty much us in the libertarian camp are uncaring evil people

• There is an example of the “progressive” left’s “Utopia” right here in the United States. If you can get past the used needles in the gutter, the smell of urine, public defecation and if you’re in the middle class, you can live in a dorm for $1200 a month. But you can’t afford a house unless you make $303K a year. So, if you’d like to see the rest of the country go down this path, be sure and vote Democ-Rat this November. Here’s Left-topia in all it’s glory (Spoiler alert: a United Nations special envoy compared it to what she’d seen in Mexico City and Mumbai): http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/11/san-franciscos-homeless-encampments-expose-failure-liberal-utopia/

• The political polarization continues, the divide widens: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/10/politics/never-trump-republicans-disappear/index.html

Looks like your connection to A Kings Castle was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.