The Political and Cultural Divide in the U.S.

• @bem “Politics and crime – they’re the same thing.”

• How much did the Hildebeast win the popular vote by in the People’s Republic of California? One million four hundred thousand was it? Perhaps only 400,000 since the Obamunist was caught on tape encouraging these folks to vote: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-05/over-million-illegal-immigrants-issued-california-drivers-licenses

• @boothe Huh, interesting article. I would have loved to meet the guy, though he probably would have begged me to shut up after a day or two.

Now I want to go pig hunting.

• @jammyjaybird said in The Political and Cultural Divide in the U.S.:

Long after the current occupant of the White House exits the stage, and after the Democrats take back the House in November, and after all the news of the moment passes – that hardcore hateful segment of our society will still be there, festering. It won’t go away. In fact, after decades of hibernation, it has been re-animated by the six-foot-two walking trash fire currently occupying the White House, because he’s the most deplorable of deplorables, trapped in a psychological hell. (As was Nixon, but the truth was that he managed to hide it better.)

Oh, I don’t know. I suspect that Hillary gave a throwaway line that was backfilled by partisans of both sides, the Left with a broad brush and the Right embracing it to turn a slam into a banner. I think the nutsos you are talking about don’t cleanly map to the Deplorables, though many do. The people who throw stuff at rallies are probably the closest match.

@boothe said in The Political and Cultural Divide in the U.S.:

We tend to ignore or disbelieve that the principle of an action resulting in an equal and opposite reaction is not just confined to physics. Human behavior is subject to this as well and we ignore that at our peril.

Ain’t that the truth (fun fact: “ain’t” ain’t a word but the computer-machine squiggles it if I leave the apostrophe off). I have of late been finding myself wondering “Does the Left seriously not understand that such-and-such an action will only create the exact opposite effect that they say they want?” And then it hit me, does the Right engage in the same calculation?

I think a lot of the malice and conspiracy observed in the world would disappear if we correctly accounted for human stupidity and shortsightedness.

@Iattacku

pretty much us in the libertarian camp are uncaring evil people

Woah woah woah, let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater here (not intended as a slight against people who throw babies or bathwater). I am evil, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care. Well, actually I’m not a libertarian anymore. But I was. Before I became a libertarian I wondered “Wow why do libertarians hate each other so much?” Then I became one.

• Another division is the “War on Drugs”. But is there really a “war” going on? Or is there an element in government that is actually capitalizing on the obscene profitability of prohibition? Trump talks a mean line about the “opioid crisis” but consider this: opium is that third largest economy behind oil and arms sales. Do you really believe that amount of money is simply going to be left on the table? Someone’s going to cash in on it. So who has the manpower, hardware, connections and abject lack of morality and respect for the law this would require? The answer is very disturbing: https://www.globalresearch.ca/trumps-hypocritical-concern-on-heroin-addiction-sustained-by-us-led-war-on-afghanistan/5628138

• @boothe Interesting article. And troubling.

The government can’t stop addiction. Addiction isn’t a “herd management” problem. Addiction is a human-will problem engorged by bad parenting, bad human-ing, and hopelessness. You can’t government that away (but you can use it as a justification to make more government!).

• @ransom You are quite right on all points. People have been altering their state of consciousness since there have been people. No law is going to stop that. Trump has talked about putting drug dealers to death. It won’t matter. They already do that in China. Guess what? They still have drug dealers. Portugal decriminalized drug use 18 years ago. The usual suspects came unglued screaming that Portugal would become a drug tourist haven. Exactly the opposite turned out to be true. Through education, intervention and opioid substitution programs drug use has decreased, along with the HIV infection rate. This will be counter-intuitive to a lot of the “law & order” types, but if you want more of a bad thing…prohibit it. Here’s a good article on the matter (from one of Jammy’s leftist sites, lol): https://news.vice.com/article/ungass-portugal-what-happened-after-decriminalization-drugs-weed-to-heroin

• @boothe true i have been against the War on Drugs for a while. Instead of making them felons who will be unable to get a job why no focus on rehabilitating them. Hoenstly if we got rid of the war on drugs we wouldnt have the highest incarceration rate

• @iattacku Portugal has been very successful in reducing drug use with decriminalization by focusing on education and rehab. The rub here in the U.S. is the “War on Drugs” has given serious power to the police to go fishing and is highly lucrative due to civil forfeiture laws. The government is not going to relinquish that power and money without a fight.

• Let’s resurrect this old thread: “More Evidence Emerges That Federal Government Is Funding Worthless College Degrees”

I knew back in the seventies that the major universities were fast becoming centers for Marxist indoctrination first and institutions of higher learning second. Now we’re seeing students saddled with massive student loan debt that cannot be discharged through bankruptcy. Who do they want to pay it off for them? Well the two thirds of the population who have neither a college degree nor the debt that now routinely goes with it. I’m real sorry that your degree in Wymyn’s Studies or Laser Technology will only get you a job as a cashier or a barista. But you made the decision to get that degree, not the rest of us. And you also made the bad decision to take out the loan that enabled this. Now you want those of us who made better financial decisions when we were younger to foot the bill? I think not. A key takeaway from the article linked above is this:

Today, Americans are debating whether or not a college education should be tuition-free, with the cost of education transferred to all taxpayers. With overwhelming evidence that many colleges and universities are saddling students with significant debt, the debate should shift to whether or not federal policies are enabling a system that is failing students.
    _
    At the very least, policymakers should reform the federal student loan programs so that taxpayers are no longer financing programs that leave students worse off.

Looks like your connection to A Kings Castle was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.